Monday, January 18, 2010

Martin Luther King Day

Guess I knew who Martin Luther King was, but I never really knew much about him until it was Martin Luther King Day today and I felt I should take a moment to understand this man who gave me my 1 day holiday break. :)

Part of doing so meant exploring Harlem, and I used the internet to search for some famous landmarks that should put me on the right track... At the subway station, this series of Diesel ads caught my eye and I couldn't help stopping to look at them:
Photobucket
Being stupid is cool. How's that for a change?

I managed to find my way to Harlem and was a little apprehensive initially given how people have told me "it's a rough neighborhood...make sure you go there with a friend". But how to have a friend when I've just moved to NYC? Actually I have tried my best to make friends from all sort of channels but none have materialized - hai... Just got to let go, let flow. Sometimes it makes me wonder if there's anything wrong with me - I think I'm a fairly interesting person with a fairly good personality... but.... where are my friends??? Guess this is just part of having to contend with being overseas and moving every so often. The roots of such a tree never grow deep.

Oh, this brings to mind something I have been thinking about a lot today... I think there's a lot of wisdom in the following 2010 goals:
  • Heart to heart
  • Purity of heart
  • Guarding your heart
  • Having a heart
Anyway..I've digressed. Here are some of Harlem's landmarks - the Apollo Theater, Lenox Lounge and then there's Blumstein where Martin Luther King was nearly assassinated... but nobody seems to know where that is...
Photobucket
I also had my life's first SOUL FOOD today. Now I finally know what's Soul food, and what's Soul music. Soul food = food eaten by African Americans in the south. :) Turns out to be a bunch of oily fried stuff... but well, I justify the calories by the new experience!
Photobucket
Interestingly, my subway line connected to the Museum of Natural History and I decided to hop off and check the museum out. It was afterall, part of my 6 hours of planning over the weekend of where to go, what to eat and things I want to explore in NYC within the month that I'm here. FYI- food is high on my priority list! I now have my own list of the TOP EATING SPOTS in NYC! :) Ask me if you'd like that list! :)Photobucket

Photobucket
Again, by coincidence, the subway I have to take to get home makes a connection at Times Square...so I got off and bought my Broadway tickets to Lion King (click for video) and In The Heights (click for video)! :)
Photobucket
I thought it was funny to see the T-Rex in Toys'R'us when I've just seen its genuine predecessors at the Natural History Museum... LOL :) It was an unexpectedly good day, and this post has also taken unexpectedly long to create & post... I've gotta cut down Facebook and blogging time to start concentrating on CFA studying which starts TODAY!!!

2 comments:

KT said...

You have friends!!!!

We are not your friends meh?

Just that you want to choose NY< so far away form all of us!

me said...

Different what...you all are friends, but we can't physically hang out together...you know, like watch movies, go museums, hang out for coffee...eat dinners.. :(