Day 2 saw a spew of blood-tinted saliva on my pillowcase. Yucks. The effect of anaesthesia, a swollen cheek and leaking saliva.
But on the brighter side of things, I actually survived Day 2 without painkillers! It has to be a combination of one or more of these factors: (1) a wonderful God, (2) a wonderful highly skilled surgeon, (3) wonderfully high platelet count, (4) wonderfully high threshold of pain.
In any case, given that I'm not as 'impaired' as I imagined I would be (I mean just think about sawing bones, cutting gums, drilling teeth...it ain't pretty right?) - I got around to thinking about loads of stuff today. One of which was about life and career etc.
It dawned upon me that the notion that one can do anything is clearly liberating. But life without constraints has also proved a recipe for endless searching, endless questioning of aspirations. It has made our generation obsessed with self-development but eventually, living is as much about closing possibilities as it is about creating them.
I came up with the 3 things important to job satisfaction in a job:
1) Clear relationship between effort and reward
2) Complexity/ Steep learning curve
3) Autonomy
Do you agree? Do you not? Am I missing anything?
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment